Monday, November 24, 2008

Psychology and Photography


Ken Doody does figurative photography. He's always on the lookout for models, so I said 'yes' and we did the shoot last winter. What's interesting is the way his work as a psychologist informs his art. He has a great interest in people and how they perceive themselves.



This is me venting my frustrations on trying to find parking in St. John. Just joking :D A little acting was required to get a range of emotions.





These were taken at Ken's studio in St. John. So very cool, they have a studio co-op. That's six artists sharing the same space so rent is ridiculously low. *Sigh* Dreaming of cheap studio space in Moncton...

If you'd be interested in modeling, you will probably run into him at an opening at Buckland's gallery, like I did or he wouldn't mind if you sent him an email (realfilmfotos@hotmail.com).
Raymond Martin, child psychologist/artist did a presentation for our club, Café des Artistes, last Thursday. He has a joyous, distinct style and he told us a bit how the way his work informs his art.
For artists who have a day job, it can be frustrating to find the time to create (or artists without a day job for that matter!). It's a relief to realize that time spent at work, on mundane activities, or taking care of our families informs our artwork and makes it richer. What do you think. Is it even possible, or desirable to create in a vacuum?

11 comments:

Tracy said...

That is so neat! Funny to see you upset in the middle photo! ;o) (Oh, did you find a parking space?!--LOL! ;o) That sounds like a fun project. I'm creative and get to work at home...but still have my moments of feeling there's never enough time to do all I want! The artist's, and pretty much everyone's, never-ending story...Happy Days, my friend ((HUGS))

Megan Coyle said...

This must have been a lot of fun--the photos came out great. And thanks for sharing Doody's work--I'm a big fan of portraiture and I always like seeing work by artists who are new to me.

Unknown said...

Shayla! BEAUTIFUL pictures, love them esp in black and white!! Interesting to see how it turns out in pictures right. Big hugs for the week :D

Jeane Myers said...

for me? it's all about being informed by my life - I suppose some people can create in a vacumn - I know that doesn't work for me - theatre is a totally collabrative art and obviously informed by life - I really love these pics of you - I can see why he asked to photo you.

MiKa Art said...

I like the third pic very much - looking at it makes me feel happy and relaxed...

Shayla said...

Hee, hee. Tracy, yes I found parking. It was even legal ;)

Megan, your passion for portraiture comes out in your work. Yes it was fun!

M.Kate Thank you! Love the bunny avatar.

Jeane- I'm glad you don't work in a vacuum. It makes your blog so much more interesting to read. It's energizing to collaborate on projects. Theatre must be great!

That one's my fav too, Mika. I was feeling relaxed.

Bridgette Guerzon Mills said...

great pics!

I agree with Jean- life informs our work. I don't see how the two can be separate!

As a mother of an almost 2-year old, I don't have as much time in the studio as I used to have. But I find that when i do work, I am ready to get into it and he really has added a richness to my life. And I draw upon that in my work. Or at least I attempt to! :)

Seth said...

Found this post quite compelling...especially with regard to the intersection between psychology and art. And I second and third what has already been said...you cannot take the life out of the art!

picciolo said...

what great photos. the last one of you is gorgeous! I think everything we do and everything we are influences our artworks, working in a vaccuum would make for dull work I think!
: )

Shayla said...

Bridgette, it's so good to hear how your little guy makes your life and art richer. How many times does a woman hear 'you can't have both'? Your comment is both positive and uplifting.

Seth, you gotta love pondering what makes people tick!

Thanks, Jane! Very true about the 'dull'. I'd go insane!!

ArtPropelled said...

I love the photographs, Shayla. How wonderful to really see you. You look so gorgeous and arty....even in the growling one.

For me there are not enough hours in the day and at times I do wish I could create in a vacuum but I know it would begin to pall. Having a balanced life definitely is beneficial to my art.