Thursday, November 15, 2007

Art Scene in Moncton

Went to an awesome art exhibit last night. Raymonde Fortin's new pieces radiated such intensity that I felt like I'd had a shot of stamina, vitality and fire. I litterally could have dansed for a couple of hours after seeing them. So here's my theory- perhaps it's not more sugar and caffeine that we need, but more art! It's a much better high besides. No jitteries, headaches and general crankiness to follow.

Of course that made for a seriously good opening night. The energy of the crowd was great. Everyone got off on the vibe and it was beyond a doubt the hottest place to be. Pretty exciting stuff to witness these improvements to the art scene in Moncton. Raymonde also recently won first place in a national competition held by the Bank of Montreal. Way to go, Raymonde!

I met with Marie-Pierre Valay-Nadeau this week about the show. She's the actress that's going to be doing the poetry reading at my art opening this December. We did a test run and I could feel the electricity in the air. I'm used to her voice, but when she used it for her craft it seemed like I was listening to someone else. The control, expression, and all the little nuances of good acting are so powerful. I also like that it's immediate. People who aren't as exposed to the "art world" are much less intimidated by acting. It's all around us with TV and the movies, so I think that's why they trust their feelings and reactions so much more. If uninitiated to visual art, people seem less trusting of their gut reaction.

Back to the studio.

No comments: