Monday, May 7, 2012

Art Quote Monday- artist Leonard Strekfus

"I use trash as a medium where other artists might use clay or paint. One distinction might be that I find or recognize shapes, where an abstract artist might create a shape, ore a representational artist might reproduce a shape. I approach the found shape metaphorically, asking myself, 'What does this object look like? What does it feel like? Does it, on its own, evoke something else? Could it, together with other found shapes, create something new?' When put together, these objects may have no other relationship that shape and thus seem somewhat ridiculour or, to a Surrealist at heart, may appear 'beautiful, like the chance meeting of a sewing machine and an umbrella on a dissecting table,' in Lautreamont's famous phrase.

American artist Leonard Strekfus

1 comment:

Tracy said...

Recycled art... I LOVE it! :o) I like incorporating found items in things I create, reusing & recycling when possible. It's a fun challenge to consider how cast-off's can become something new, something wonderful. Happy Day, Shayla ((HUGS))