Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Art Every Day Month Closing Ceremony


Back in the studio-When trying to think of a closing ceremony for Art Every Day Month, I decided to burn something. Destruction, creation, a pleasing finality. Plus I get to play with matches and I have the extra long ones for romantics with fireplaces (don't actually have a fireplace...). Made up the above piece. Which has given me a hard time over the years- yes years- I've been working on it. I'd work on it, it would look crappy, I'd put it back in the box, pull it out later, try again, lather, rinse, repeat. I'm liking it now. It feels like a good symbol for this month of creating.  

Did/Been-Lots of inspiring people came into the shop today and we had some good art talks. Denis showed me some of the behind the scenes with framing and I found out they have conservationist standards. Fascinating- they even consider how to hinge paper artworks in so they won't tear from the matting if the frame drops. A lot to learn there. 

How I felt- more mellow than usual, at least at times. When it came time to do my burning ceremony the paper wasn't burning fast enough, so I got up The Big Bang Theory online and was about to watch it at the same time when I realized that wasn't very mindful, and kind of defeated the purpose of a closing ceremony. Plus when I get overstimulated, I get clutzy... hmmm....

Conclusion- My big lessons this month were about routine and surrender. Like breathing. Not always breathing in. Also breathing out. Figuring out when. It's already a little better. The large oil painting I've been working on since August is starting to come together. I can see the steps laid out ahead of me until the finish. While the routine portion came easier than I'd ever imagined it would,  I'm thinking I may need an entire year to come to terms with surrender.

8 comments:

MiKa Art said...

Wow, Shayla, I love the new 'organic', really natural feel in your paintings!! Texture, colours... they looks like really nice stuff from mysterious, deep forest!

Anonymous said...

Routine was one of my lessons this month, too...also acceptance of my own place on this learning path :) I'm glad to have met you and your blog thru AEDM--I appreciate your comments and encouragement!

Carolyn Dube said...

Love the burning! That surrender thing is one tough concept for me!

Carole Reid said...

Good for you Shayla. Routine, surrender, and fire!

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

Wonderful to have a closing ritual and what could be better than burning? I have followed you this month most days and thank you for sharing this learning, observing and feeling journey.

Shayla said...

Thanks for the support and comments over the last month. The community factor helped me honour this intention despite the rocky bits. Love and hugs!

Tracy said...

You did it--HOORAY! It's been wonderful sharing a whole of November with you, Shayla! I admire you courage to be here & share daily for a whole month. I like this piece you're sharing. I has almost a nautilus shell feel to it... Surrender... I like that idea for a year's focus! Enter the fire, SURRENDER! ;o) Thank you for the inspiration ((HUGS))

ArtPropelled said...

Yes I like it too! .... and I might also need a year or two to come to terms with surrender.