Saturday, July 9, 2011

Summer Reading

If you're headed to the beach, or if like me you've been rained out, here's a couple of art books I'm in the middle of that you might like too.

An object of Beauty by Steve Martin

My favorite part about this book so far, besides the New York elite art world setting, is the explanation for collector's lust. Why do art collectors collect? As an artist, this was fascinating and even though this is a novel and not an art marketing book, I could sense that the answer rang true.



If you would prefer an art making book, I recommend The Artist's Muse by Betsy Dillar Stroud. While I did come across one review that said it wasn't for professional artists and was only suitable for beginners, I've gotten a great deal of mileage out of it. In my opinion it can be valuable for artists of all levels, especially any experiencing creative block or the 'postpartum' Art Show Opening blues. This is the book I pull out whenever I want to play, fool around with new ideas, or come up with collaborations with other artists. It comes with a deck of cards with creativity prompts AND it's on sale at Chapters for $6. You can't go wrong.

7 comments:

MiKa Art said...

Hi Shayla!
I'm so glad you are back:)

These are great information - thank you very much for sharing with us. I love your blog. It is very inspiring and thoughtful!

Margie said...

I've read Steve Martin's book and loved it!

Enjoy your summer, Shayla.

Tracy said...

Thank you for the reading tips, Shayla... always on the hunt for a new read. I've got the practical art book you mention on my list now. So sorry you're getting rained out this summer. We've been having showers almost every day for weeks now... but at least the sun peeks in occasionally. Wishing sunny skies for you before summer's end. :o) ((HUGS))

M said...

It was a book by Betsy Dillard Stroud that got me interested in mixed media and woke me up to finding my own voice. I recommend her for any artist. Hope you're having a great summer.

Unknown said...

They look like great reading to me..but I am not sure if they are here. I think reading is a luxury for me Shayla...with so little time, I hardly can do anything at all for myself. Hope you are having a good week ahead my friend. Hugs..MK

Deborah Carr said...

Thanks for the recommendations, Shayla...One of my lingering thoughts lately has been to set aside my pen for a bit and try my hand at art...I loved to draw and paint as a child. Can the writer paint? And how might one feed the other?

Seth said...

Hey Shayla. I had meant to pick up Steve Martin's book. Thanks for the reminder.