Thursday, October 8, 2009

Life and Breath

20x16" Life and Breath.

The inspirational spark for this painting was from Neil Young's song "Heart of Gold." It was the yearning in "keeps me searching for a heart of gold" part that resonated. Somehow in the painting it became more literal. It could have been in part my own yearning for the physically sound. In my imagination it turned into a real heart beating in the body, standing for the physically sound, gratitude for life and breath. I know gratitude has been a key in my healing. In the end, I can say this painting did bring me greater contentment and better health.

A little hello to my mailing list, if you're reading. Due to a computer crash, my email mailing list is gone. I still have paper copies of home addresses so I'll be rebuilding it as much as possible. I'll have an invitation for you shortly. To make double sure you don't get missed, feel free to send me an email and I'll add you back in. My address is shayla@hiddenplacestudio.com

14 comments:

ArtPropelled said...

Shayla, these new paintings of yours have a power and strength in them.... not to mention heart and soul. I'm very taken with them.

Bridgette Guerzon Mills said...

what a powerful image you created. just beautiful.

Unknown said...

Beautiful painting Shayla, strong colours and I like it so much. Happy weekend my friend, love/M

Matt DeFore said...

I'd love to see a post where you walk through your creative process and technique. This piece just screams - frame me and hang me on the wall....

Jeane Myers said...

Shayla, this is just gorgeous - wonderful!

picciolo said...

What glorious colours Shayla, I love reading your inpirations
: )

DJ said...

Love the texture in the lower area. Stunning color combo with great visual impact.
Keep us posted on your health, also.
Hugs...

Tracy said...

Oh, Shayla... I literally burst with a sigh of wonder when the photo of you painting came up! It's like the beating of a heart personified in paint in the most glorious way...Hear, soul, contentment and joy resound in this work...Stunning! I am in awe, my friend...truly wonderful! :o) So sorry to hear about your computer crash though--yikes! Hope you'll have all to rights soon. Happy weekend, my friend ((HUGS))

Tatieva said...

Pur, pur, pur, c'est trés beau.
Zen et puissant.
Ca me plaît beaucoup.
Kisses from France,
Tatieva

Shayla said...

Robyn, that gives me a thrill to hear you say that. I'm excited about them.

Bridgette, thank you. I admire your art very much so your comment means a lot.

M.Kate, red and gold! Now that reminds me of one of your posts on a festival. Was it New Years when everything is decorated in red and gold?

Matt, I'm working on filming my process and plan to post short segments here. I still don't know much about the program and will have to learn how to cut and edit to get the painting in all its stages. Coming soon! Thanks for the idea.

Jeane- thank you

Jane, thanks for the feedback.

DJ- I love color and texture. Lately I've simplified my color choices to three at the most and it was fun to play with these two. Energy's good. Thanks for asking.

Tracy, I'm floating on air from your comments and observations. Thanks for understanding.

Tatieva, merci pour tes commentaires. "Pur, pur, pur"- je vois que vous aimez les trois aussi.

Gwen Buchanan said...

Beautiful work Shayla, Love it, just love it!!!

...and coincidentally, who was I spending time listening to just minutes ago but Neil.. he covers it all..

sorry to hear about your computer.. hope you were able to save a few things...

Regina said...

There is much heart in this & it is lovely. Bravo!

Cherry Jeffs said...

Wow, I'm struck dumb! ¡Enhorabuena!

Shayla said...

Hi Gwen, seeing your comment a couple days ago had me thinking about beautiful fundy, your home there, and it inspired a painting. I still haven't photographed it yet. Fortunately I didn't loose all my images with the crash, so that's the main thing.

Regina and Wild Cherry, Thank you!