This piece was a series of challenges, but very enjoyable. The background paper was made by letting black paint seep into the wrinkles of a wax coating (more on that process here)
The first issue was with my embossing powder. Some of my white powder got mixed into my clear, so now when I'm embossing little swirls of white end up on the surface of my piece. I pulled them out with an old paint brush, but it left the resin coating uneven. I decided to put a piece of mica over the top- the square had taken a long time to complete and I wasn't giving up without a fight. It evened out the surface beautifully. I liked the way it looked uncut. I felt it gave the piece more of an organic feel.
Problem number two came after I punched the holes through the canvas to attach the mica. It's very small, only 6X6", and the support bars behind the canvas were blocking access to properly hammer in the eyelets. I thought I could maybe smack the bars with the hammer and the bars in turn would hit the eyelets shut. Nope. I ended up simply attaching the eyelets to the mica, then sewing through them to the canvas with gold wire. I used a bead for more stability, since there were still holes punched in my canvas. The bead sealed the hole snugly.
Conclusions? I will have to get a proper craft sheet for embossing. I've tried several substitutes and they don't work. The powder often sticks to the surface instead of going back into the jar. Tapping my improvised surface to get the rest of it off sprays embossing powder all over my floor and work space. I don't want a plastic particle beach in my studio. The sheet looks so cheap, but at least I know the powder will glide nicely into the jar and I guess you can even put it in the oven for melt art applications. That will probably be useful one day.
I scanned the piece in its frame because I like the black. Some of the frame has been cropped. I'm still not decided on the scan. I think it's darker that the piece and am going to photograph it for better accuracy.