Monday, July 16, 2007

Back to Work

My mom's coming down this week and we're going to dye recycled coffee filters from Starbucks. I already painted watercolor style on some of them and they turned out wonderfully. She's a semi-retired fiber artist (does an artist ever retire?). Now she does projects just for herself. Before, most of her work was weaving blankets, shawls, and making wearable art. Fun! I got the experiments. Cottage Craft in St. Andrews carried some of her stuff. Those are her blankets in the photo.

We're going to use natural dye materials we'll gather ourselves. She's bringing up a batch of onion skins for a rusty gold color. We'll see how it goes. I've never dyed paper before, only wool. So far I think I may need to use that nasty top coat varnish to prevent it from fading.

No comments: